Sunday 20 March 2011

Constructed Images

The latest assignment for my BTEC class is due this coming week. This one combined a studio shoot and some location work. The idea was to was to shoot a studio still life and then combining it someway - either digitally, or even rephotographing - with a completely different background.

An idea proved to be a long time in coming. For inspiration took a look at some of the work by Barbara Kruger, Jerry Uelsmann, Duane Michals and Mari Mahr, all of whom produced composite type images – here are some examples …







I’d seen some images by Jerry Uelsmann previously, and had read that many of them have been produced in a traditional ‘wet’ darkroom.  I don’t have access to a darkroom any more and haven’t had for some time, so my efforts could look forward to some digital processing, ably assisted by Mr Adobe and Photoshop CS4.

Perhaps I should look for a job in that TV show “Blue Peter” …. here are some pictures I prepared earlier, from my pre digital camera days.  I took slides and black & white negatives then and scanned them.


Not so much a composite of 2 or more images, rather the inclusion of text into one image, written for me by a Chinese friend. If you can read the Chinese, I’d appreciate a translation.

 Here are some colour composite, comprised of images originally 35mm slides (Fuji) and scanned using a Canoscan dedicated film scanner. 

Comprised of 3 separate images – the pyramid is in Mexico, the sea in the foreground is the Atlantic coast of Ireland and the background mountains are in Morocco. Three Continents!

Again comprised of parts from 3 images, in multiple layers; the statue, glare and background building and sky are in Toronto, the scene within the statue is downtown New York, and the pattern within the “moon” is from the Centre Point building here in London, with the red colour added via Photoshop.


Will post the assignment in a day or so ....


No comments:

Post a Comment