Wednesday 2 February 2011

Portrait Exhibition

I've been visiting quite a few Exhbitions - photographic and others - during the last couple of years and have enjoyed doing so. I may not have enjoyed all the exhibits, but that is to be expected and I've left these exhibitions pleased to have visited. Occasionally I leave an exhibition extremely disappointed.

One such exhibition was the Taylor Wessing photographic portrait at the National Portrait Gallery in London. I did like some of the images,  for example "Mr Streamer" by Ian Atkinson and "Huntress with Buck" by David Chancellor - I have the nerve to agree with the selectors here as this was awarded 1st prize. But many of  the photographs were poorly composed - for example with the sitter placed centre frame, with distracting elements (trees, stairwells......) around them.

Overall, a disappointing show. The best 60 of of those entered on display ? Thank goodness it only cost £2 entry to get in. One good thing - this visit may help me appreciate the good exhibitions when I get to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment