Tuesday 4 January 2011

London Parade - 2011

This year - 2011 - the London New Year's Day Parade had it's 25th Anniversary. Whilst I've not been attending it that long - never mind photographing it - the time has a special significance for me because the parade has been around in London for almost as long as I have. Anyway, the overcast day which was January 1st and the threat of rain here in London didn't put me off bringing in my cameras and trying to get a few photos.
.
Like last year the parade began in Piccadilly and wound it's way through central London,  finishing in Parliament Square some hours later - you can read my post (with some photos) of the 2010 event here. I like to go where the performers are setting up, and get in amongst them whilst they get ready for the parade itself and this year was no different for me - I headed for Berkeley Square and Berkeley Street. The first photograph below could almost pass as a self-portrait  (there are no prizes for spotting me !)







One advantage of using a digital camera (it took me quite some time to convert from film) was - on this occasion - was te ability to change ISO and keep shooting. I started the shoot at 200, and as the light became worse, changed to 400, ending on 800, as rain threatened.  

Didn't take as many photos as last time - about 150 rather than almost 400, but on an initial inspection some of them at least (well 1 or 2 maybe) look promising, whilst others are distinctly soft. Perhaps I should have tried 400 or 800 from the start, or brought a flashgun as many of the other photographers who were around at the time. Perhaps I will next time, and maybe I'll try photographing the end of the parade then, not the start ....



No comments:

Post a Comment