Wednesday 14 October 2009

Fouth Plinth

I see the One and Other/Fourth Plinth art project - where 2400 participants each spent an hour alone on the otherwise empty 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square - came to a close this morning. It first came to my attention back in July shortly after it began, when I was passing through the Square on my way somewhere else. The participant at the time didn't interest me - he was merely pacing up and down. What was more interesting then was the change-over - the new participant was driven up in a platform on a cherry-picker, lifted up to the plinth, change-over occurs and then the previous one driven away.

Since then I've made a point of passing through Trafalgar Square when in central London - around the time of the change over (usually on the hour) - to photograph it. And I've built up a small collection of photos, from which I'm posting a short sequence ....













From what I've seen, an eclectic mix of people on the plinth - some eccentric, some interesting, some boring, others forgettable. But Trafalgar Square will seem a little emptier to me now that the project is over. I guess the plinth will be used for something else ?

No comments:

Post a Comment