Tuesday 21 July 2009

Next Project - Photo Essay

Today I move on to a new project. Not strictly new, more of a continuation or extension of the "Atmosphere of a Place" project the other day. Here I was mostly photographing people using personal modern technology, in particular mobile phones, digital cameras. On looking back at my selection of shots from that day I included some that had neither phones or cameras. Now I'll not take a photo unless the subject matter has people interacting with modern personal technology - mobiles and cameras as before, and also mp3 players, laptops, pda. Oyster cards ? Possibly. Smart cards seem to be the way for commuters to pay for public transport usage these days. Apart from visitors does anyone pay cash anymore ?

Some more time was spent pleasantly in the Library and then subsequently on the internet looking at photographers work, in particular Anna Fox and her "workstations" (1988). How times change and people with them. In one of her images a young lady (look at the 1980's hairstyle and fashions!) is using a "mobile" phone the size of a brick. And that doesn't even include the battery. I wonder if the mobiles (and laptops) will look so dated in 20 or so years time. I think they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment